Thursday, March 24, 2011

불고기

A-SIA.

The only Asian food I ever ate as a kid was take out Chinese. Luckily for me, it was akin to Columbia's Hunan Manor, so it was GOOD Chinese. REALLY good Chinese.

A few years ago, a friend of ours (who happens to be Chinese. Hi George!) took us to KoreaTown in NYC. George, his cousin, and my other half had Bibimbap. I was feeling adventurous, ordered kimchi, AND liked loved it. (Apparently, this makes me weird.) Unfortunately for me, my other half hates it, so there was no point in researching to see if I could even attempt to crock it this week. Instead, I turned to my trusty cookbooks to see if I could find something Korean and crockable that would make our tastebuds happy.

"Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs" (6 quart pot)

~2 lbs boneless beef short ribs
~1/4 c green onions
~1/4 c soy sauce
~1/4 c beef broth
~1 T packed brown sugar
~2 t minced fresh ginger
~2 t minced garlic
~1/2 t black pepper
~2 t Asian sesame oil
~rice
~2 t sesame seeds, toasted

Place ribs in crock pot.
Combine green onions, soy sauce, broth, ginger, garlic, and pepper in medium bowl; mix well and pour over ribs.
Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
Remove ribs from cooking liquid, cool slightly.
Trim and discard excess fat.
Cut rib meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding fat.
Let cooking liquid stand for 5 minutes to allow fat to rise.
Skim off fat and discard.
Stir sesame oil into liquid.
Return beef to crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until mixture is hot.
Serve over rice.
Garnish with sesame seeds.

4 servings.

This was sooooo good. We ate all of it. I think calling it BBQ is kind of misleading because it doesn't taste like "American bbq sauce" at all, but man...I'd definitely make this again.


맛있는 

1 comment:

  1. And really, anything that can get her to eat rice and like it is a winner! Tasty! Plus, I generally like Asian food, although Korean airline food is not up there on my list of tasty foods. I'm not sure what they called Korean airline food was even food, now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete