Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Flippy floppy.

Heather picked number 1. The first card in the stack was...

"Kale, Olive Oil, and Parmesan Soup" (6 quart pot)

~2 T olive oil
~1 onion, chopped
~3 garlic cloves, chopped
~2 pounds kale, washed and chopped
~8 c chicken stock (but you could just as easily use veggie broth if you're an herbivore.)
~Parmesan cheese, grated
~extra virgin olive oil

Heat olive oil in the LARGEST skillet you own over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic.
Cook, stirring often, until onion softens.
Stir in kale and cook for a couple minutes until kale become bright green and tender. (I had to do it in batches because 2 pounds is a LOT of kale.)
Remove from heat and store in refrigerator until needed.
Add chicken stock to crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. (Yes, you're crocking chicken stock all by itself for 6 hours.)
Add kale mixture and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Spoon soup into bowls.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle (Does anyone else giggle at the word "drizzle"?) with extra virgin olive oil immediately before serving.

6 servings.

What's that noise? Was that a flop? Pretty much as soon as the title of tonight's crock escaped from my lips, my other half asked when we were ordering wings. We came pretty close to doing so, too. REALLY close. The closest ever. He was not a fan AT ALL. I ate my portion and I really wanted to like it, but kale might be "too green" for me (whatever that means). I think kale is an acquired taste, so I'll try to acquire it this week when I'm forced to eat the boatload of leftovers we have since I'm the only person in the house who can stomach it. Anyone wanna come over and help me...or want it delivered? It's...yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment