Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Happy meal.

Laura picked number 4. (Thanks Laura!) Number 4 was...

"Chicken Thighs with Sausage" (6 quart pot)

~2 medium carrots, chopped
~2 celery ribs, chopped
~1 onion, finely chopped
~8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
~1 (14 oz) package smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch sliced (I accidentally bought a non-smoked kind. More on that later.)
~1/4 c ketchup
~6 garlic cloves,  minced (I finally used the last of the CSA garlic. Woot!)
~1 T Louisiana-style hot sauce
~1 t dried basil
~1 t paprika (I used smoked paprika to make up for buying the wrong sausage.)
~1 t dried thyme
~1/2 t dried oregano
~1/2 t pepper
~1/4 t allspice

Combine carrots, celery, and onion in crock pot.
Brown sausage and drain. (So...the kind I bought was a breakfast sausage and wasn't sliceable. I squeezed it out of the casings and browned it instead.)
Top veggies with sausage and chicken.
In a small bowl, combine ketchup, garlic, hot sauce, and seasonings.
Spoon over meats.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until chicken is tender.

8 servings.
I served this over couscous and it was all super yummy. Nice and tender and the bites with the sauce were slightly spicy. THIS was family pleasing. All 3 of us devoured it. Had I known my little helper was going to eat all of my carrots, I would have put more in the pot!





No comments:

Post a Comment